- Shaw shall be notified two working days prior to excavations near Shaw facilities.
- Shaw facilities must be located to a distance of five metres in each direction from the centre line of each crossing along the cable axis.
- No excavation or heavy equipment is to be used within 1.5 metres of Shaw facilities prior to installing appropriate weight bearing protection (earth berm or matting). A Shaw inspector may be required to be onsite during the crossing operation.
- Not less than one metre and no further than three metres on the approach side of the Shaw facilities, following the drill/auger's path.
- To a minimum depth of one metre beyond the depth of the actual cable.
- Disturbed soil below Shaw facilities must be compacted to minimum 95% proctor or as directed by the local authority. No compaction above Shaw facilities shall be carried out until minimum 30 centimetres fill is covering the facility. Reducing the depth of soil covering Shaw facilities is not allowed. The surface of the crossing area must be restored as closely as is practical to original condition
- Should there be additional requirements not listed above for Rural Crossings
Call 1-866-DIGSHAW (1-866-344-7429).
Conditions for extending the life of a locate from 14 to 30 days
- Original locate marks must still be visible; or the ground disturber has provided more permanent references; or the facility has been exposed.
- Ground disturber's presence at the site remains evident during such interruptions.
- Locates of Shaw facilities must be arranged through Shaw Locates either through this website or by calling
- Shaw Locates must be contacted for this extension either through this website or by calling 1-866-DIGSHAW (1-866-344-7429).
- Ground disturber's activity at the site has not been interrupted except for a maximum of a 4 calendar day period, over weekends or if weather dictates longer interruptions.
Make sure to read our guide for
For emergency requests call:
Be aware of these utility markings near a dig site
- Proposed excavation
- Electric power lines, Cables, Conduit & lighting cables
- Telecommunications, Alarm/signal lines, Cables or conduit
- Potable water
- Steam, Condensate, Gas or oil, Compressed air
- Temporary survey markings
- Sewer and Storm drains
- Chilled water, Reclaimed water, Irrigation and Slurry lines